Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sorry for the delay... its not my fault.

Hello from Nairobi.... sorry about not writing sooner... I tried very hard, but power outages just wouldn't allow it!

So first thing to do is scroll down right now and read that blog first.

Really do it, use the roller thing on the mouse and scoll down.





Okay, welcome back.

So we arrived in
Nairobi this morning after taking the overnight bus from Mombassa. I would say it is good to be back, but I would be lying. I just don't think that me and Nairobi will ever enjoy the love affair that Hemingway and others have had with the city. But good news is that tomorrow will mark the arrival of Betty, Big K, Joyce and the girls!!! All in all tomorrow will be a great day!

So to fill you in from my last post (which you have now read by scolling down, this is very important because there have been some changes and without the previous blog you may be confused!!).

We spent what may very well be the best single day of the trip on a huge dhow in the
Indian Ocean yesterday with my very very good friend Captain Simba!! He met us in Mombassa on Tuesday afternoon and we headed by matatu to Shimoni, a small village on the coast. From there we took a small speed boat out on the water to board the Safina, Simba's new boat.

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner on the boat, sang and played on Lauren's new drum, and went to bed... on the boat. It has two bedrooms with six bunks in each. It has a toilet on board and they are working to get a shower installed as well.

We got up early in the morning the next day and went to
Wasini Island, which is just across the channel from Shimoni. We walked through a coral garden and mangrove forest, both very cool, I will post pictures later. Then we headed out to the boat to change into our swimming gear. We did some awesome snorkeling in the coral reef off the shore, saw lots of cool fish, coral, sea urching, etc. Then we had lots of fun jumping and diving off the boat into the water... also great pics to be seen later.

I wish that we had cut short our time in Lamu and had more time with Simba on his amazing boat surrounded by crystal clear blue waters!!! But alas there is always next time.

I am not sure that the internet is working so I hope this post gets up!

All my love! Jill

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Jill:
I am so happy to hear from you again. Sounds like everything is going well. It is just so fun to read about all that you are enjoying. Sorry to hear that you did end up with some sickness.
The pictures are amazing.
Bet you are looking forward to time with Betty and the group.
That Captain Simba will always hold such a dear place in your heart.
Take Care and look forward to your next message and more pictures.
I Love You,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill, so good to hear from you. Did you remember to give Simba the hug I sent him??? The pictures are great. Love you so much. Gma & Gpa

Amy said...

LOL..nope again...looks like she beat me!

Anonymous said...

hi sister. I miss you and think about you all the time. You look GREAT. And I can't wait to see you in person again. Nothing new on my front...I'm trying to get Burke on here to leave you a message so maybe you'll hear from him. Love ya.

Kendra

Anonymous said...

06/21/08 Once again enjoyed the BLOG and the pictures. You have to push Moon Beam a little harder to get her to write - From Sir w/Love & Grams