Sunday, June 29, 2008

Having a sunday in Rwanda...

We are in Gisenyi, Rwanda which is located on the shores of Lake Kivu... we have been here for a couple days scouting out the place for Betty's group that arrives in just over 2 weeks.

It is very beautiful and reminds me a lot of Lake Malawi.

We have laid out what we think will be our schedule for the remainder of the trip.

We are leaving from here tomorrow to go back to Kigali for one day and one night. We will then head on from Kigali back through Uganda. We are planning to spend two nights in Jinga which is just east of Kampala. From there we are going to head back with Isaac and possibly Betty and Carla to visit Joyce and the girls in Isaacs village. The village has for sure been my favorite part of the trip and I know I will be sad if I don't get to see them all again. We are planning to stay in the village for 5 nights. Then it is on to Tanzania where we will stay in Arusha, Moshi near Mt. Kilimanjaro, and possibly meet up with Captain Simba and his huge boat. From there it is on to Malawi for a visit to the Peace Corps Couple Austin and Sarah and some time in Nkhata Bay!

Sounds like a good month to me!!

Two days ago we visited the Genocide Memorial/Museum in Kigali. As you all can imagine it was a very powerful and sad experience. The museum did a very good job of displaying the facts and history of the genocide as well as the emotional stories of the victims and survivors. It is something that all people should see so that we can work to prevent these kinds of problems in the future.

This keyboard sticks so I am gonna wrap up!

Stay safe from the weather!

Love, Jill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Sunday Morning to you!
Sounds like the rest of your trip is going to be amazing. I am so glad that you are getting to see so many of the people that you care for so much.
All is well here in good old NE. Took Grandma to a reunion with papoo's family in Columbus yesterday. It was quite a day.
Keep me posted on all your travels, I so enjoy reading about everything and I hope you are also getting some great pictures.
All my love,
Mom