Saturday, June 7, 2008

Since everyone is cheating...

and reading Megan's blog first then answering my questions I am thinking of discontinuing the contest and the awesome prize (a zebra)... so you all just think about that before you answer any more questions :)

As all of you have figured out the one thing that isn't happening to me is the one that sounds the most plausible, but hey I am not gonna complain about not having the "travelers toilet" problems of trips in the past.

So I have decided to tell you about the 120 year old lady that we met in the village. In 2002 in a village outside Arusha, Tanzania we met a man who claimed to be 120 but I had my doubts, this time there is no question in my mind... we met a woman who is 120 years old. She probably weighed about 75 pounds and was literally skin and bones. She spends all of her time in bed but is still able to sit up and was definately able to acknowledge us and even shake our hands. She still recognizes her family and some of the people who visit her often. It is a very powerful experience to be in the same room as someone who was alive in the 1800's and to think about all the things that have happend in her lifetime. I will say though that I don't know if I am that keen about living to the year 3002????

So we arrived in Nairobi today from the village and it is fun to be back in the city now that we have a our "sealegs" and to be able to walk around and be a bit more relaxed.

Leaving the village today was very hard for all of us. Joyce made us feel so welcome in her home and I certainly feel as though we are more family than friends. I even shed a few tears as the matatu (van for public transport) pulled away from her and the girls.

Just a note if anyone needs a fence built out of cedar posts, barbed wire and chicken wire I know there ladies up for the job. You all would have gotten a good chuckle out of the site of three WAZUNGUS (white people) sweating away in the afternoon sun building a fence. But we were able to complete the fence in 2 days. We probably put up 200 feet of fence in total and by the end were working like a well oiled machine. The fence will allow the special unit to grow the fruits and vegetables they need to feed the children and to save the few precious dollars they recieve for supplies like mattresses, mosquito nets, medial supplies and school supplies. Everyone at the S.U. and the school seemed genuinely grateful for the work and also a quite impressed that three women could do something that is generally viewed as a mans job. There are many things that can still be done to help improve the school including getting electricity, building and stocking a library, and helping them to get supplies for the school and I hope that we can find ways to continue supporting this community in the future.

One of the most amazing things that we experineced in the village was the sincere generousity and openness of the people there. I would guess that the average family in the village is living on less than $100 per month but each and every home that we visited would offer us a cup of tea and often times food to eat. We were truely made to feel at home from the moment we arrived and I am left to wonder if a visiter to the US would enjoy the same welcome considering we didn't know the language the customes or anything of the sort.

We are heading off to Lamu tomorrow to enjoy a bit of rest and relaxation on the beach and to hopefully catch up with some old friends! I will probably download some pictures and post them while in Lamu so stay tuned!!

I am still gathering ideas for my DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE IN THE MEDIA post so don't worry I haven't forgotten.

It is very interesting to be in Kenya as one of there decendants gets one step closer to being the president of the US. I will share more on that later.

Congrats to Jake on the new job... now lets get that house!!

Everyone stay safe in the crazy weather (Kendra that means you especially)

Grandma Lucy... we went to church on Sunday and while it wasn't quite the same as Mass on Saturdays it made me think of you!

Mom wins an extra large zebra for first posts and for checking email twice daily... about 50 more times a day and we will be even :)

Grant.. how is my baby (computer)?

Grandma and Grandpa... I will give Simba in Lamu a hug for you and I am gonna tell the rat story just for fun... The first room we were staying in at Joyce's was attaced to their store room and goat/sheep house. The store room is a great place to live if you are a rat so a family had taken up residence. Rats are crazy active at night and our room had a tin roof so all night we would here "rat olympics" on our roof. Isaac decided to try and poison the rats with a poison that would just dehydrate them so they would die. That got a few of them but he decided to move on to a stronger poison... He put it on eggs and put it in the rafters... in the middle fo the night I felt something land on my pillow just behind my head and when the flash light came on there was a huge piece of poison egg on my pillow... needless to say I am fine and we moved to a new room the next day!! As Betty might say... TAB (thats africa baby!!)

I love you all and write some comments... they are fun for me... tell your friends to comment too cause... well why not?????

Peace, Jill

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I see I am still holding the record for first to blog.
Sounds like you are having an amazing time, just like always. I know you will be so excited to get to Lamu, your favorite place. I hope you will have time to send some pictures, as I would love to see them. It sure is nice that we can communicate this way, makes me not worry quite so much.
As is well here, just windy today. Jamie Borg's wedding is this afternoon, so needless to say it's a big day for them. Took Kendra over to the house this morning, Burke, your dad and i will head to the wedding about 4.
Grandma Lucy has been reading the blog, so I know how much she will enjoy your message.
Until I hear from you again, safe travels and lots of love from your
blog checking mom.
I Love You,
Mom
P.S. I still can't get anything to post on Megan's, but will try again today.
P.S.S. You can only imagine how excited I was on Tuesday when Obama clinched the nomination. I am going to the State Democratic Convention after the Francke REunion tomorrow. I am one of roughly 350+ people wanting to be a delegate to the National Convention. Should be interesting.

Austin & Sarah said...

Jill!

Welcome to Africa! So glad to hear things are going well and you're enjoying life on this side of the world. We are thrilled to share our life here with you here in Malawi. Slowly but surely we have been working on our house, starting a garden and meeting people in our village. Don't worry... we'll put you to work! AND reward you with a freshly squeezed glass of orange juice made especially for you from our orange tree! We're excited to head up to Nkhata Bay; we have some PC friends up there too so it should be a great time. If you plan to get to Malawi before the 16th, let us know. We would love to meet you sooner than later since we have meetings in Lilongwe after your visit. Can't wait to see you three! Travel safely.

Peace and Love,
Sarah & Austin

Anonymous said...

Swaffle:
Sarah and Sherri from EJUSA were here and missed you! The retreat was great, not a high turn-out of boardmembers, but overall a really positive experience. We got some semi-good news on the grant and once I know more I will let you know, via email or this.
On a funny note, as I sit here writing you, Joe just got out of the shower with Abbie. Yes, abbie the cat. He felt she needed a bath and so he took her in the shower and they showered together. Odd huh? However, she liked it.
I don't know which is weirder..my cat or my boyfriend. Alas, all is well except the weird weather and the absence of you in my life.
Miss you lots and love you more!
Can't wait to see you face and drink beers!
xoxo
megan

Anonymous said...

Oh the rats...perhaps the one thing I don't miss about the village. I think that village is quite possibly the most wonderful place in the world. I miss the simplicity of life there terribly. As it turns out, it is impossible to recreate here. So, your blogs/megan's pictures make me want to laugh and cry at the same time! It's great to hear how much you guys were able to help out the special unit. Have an amazing time in Lamu, tell all those bad-news-boat-boys I said hello! :) -Amy Sherwood

Anonymous said...

i am trying this again! i keep tryn to post a comment on your blogs...but it wont allow me to!?!? fyi...i am holding a perfect score currently on all your quiz questions! we miss you two SO much! so ecstatic to hear you are doing so well and putting yourselves to good use! although, that doesnt mean that i am not still jealous :) love ya jill! squeeze megan tight for me would ya!

Anonymous said...

it worked it worked...finally!

Anonymous said...

haha...this (and the last two) are me, saidi...lol! oh my :)

Anonymous said...

Hey you. Made it through the tornadoes alright...the trees didn't though. Wedding was out of control last night, I will get some pictures up on my facebook. VIP Limo Party Bus= enough said. Well can't write much...gotta head home. Keep enjoying yourself and be safe! Love ya.
Kendra

Anonymous said...

The big news here is that we are all growing web feet. Wish we could send some rain your way where you really need it. We bought a weather alert radio and haven't had a decent nights sleep since we got it. I'm letting Ken Siemek know about it. This mornign it woke us up to tell us of a possible thunderstorm. Give me a break.

It was really good to hear from you and of your adventures. Please have Megan take a picture of you and Simba for me.

Take care of yourself, Love you lots. Gma and Gpa

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the pictures! Have a wonderful time - y'all are so lucky to have this chance. I'm going to jump into your backpack next time and be a stowaway!